market-farming - [Market-farming] Hello

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Catherine S" <farmerwantabe AT hotmail.com>
  • To: Market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Hello
  • Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2003 10:01:45 -0500

I've been a member since the first of June. Been enjoying reading the postings and have been learning alot. I heard about the post from Johnny Seeds.

My husband and I live in Middle Tennessee. I'm a first time market farmer of 1/4 acre with the future potential of 3 acres. I'm growing several types of  squash, several types of beans, silver queen and sweet yellow corn, Bradley tomatoes, pickling and burpless cucumbers, eggplant, okra, had lettuce, spinach, beets for the spring. Been selling about twice a week for a month now and really enjoying it. The garden is really starting to bear now that we are finally get some sunny days.

When harvesting between market days, how to I keep cucumbers and small squash 'fresh' looking. This past market day alot of my pickling type cucumbers started looking really poor, needless to say today I'm making pickles! I have to harvest them daily, folks here like them small, I didn't wash them until the nite before market and I thought I had them in a cool area on the back porch but they still wilted and got soft. Can I put them in the refrigerator and then clean them the day before market?

How do the rest of you care for you harvest between markets?

Looking forward learning from the experienced.

Catherine Simmons

Flying S Farms

www.conklin.com/site/thesimmonscompany

Products that you can trust.

  • [Market-farming] Hello, Catherine S, 07/09/2003