market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Daylilies

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Art Petrzelka <art AT complum.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>, "Marie Kamphefner" <kampy AT grm.net>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Daylilies
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 07:26:56 -0500

On Wednesday 25 June 2003 07:51, Marie Kamphefner wrote:
> Thanks for the replies.
>
> The lilies I have, are orange with dark spots. My mother used to call
> them tiger lilies. They grow along roadsides here and multiply to the

I have tiger lilies and day lilies. The day lilies clump, and grow from
rhizomes. The daylilies have a flowering stalk separate from the main mass of
leaves.

The tiger lilies grow from a bulb about six inches underground. They are
upright, with several flowers along the leafed stalk. The flowers curl back
much further than the day lilies do. Each stalk flowers.

I thought only the tiger lilies were spotted. They are a true lily. The Web
sources I looked at (Google: tiger lily toxicity) claimed toxicity to animals
through kidney failure, but general sites claimed no toxicity known.
--
Art Petrzelka
Amana, Iowa