market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Critters

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Art Petrzelka <art AT complum.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>, Liannan88 AT aol.com
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Critters
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 07:09:27 -0500

On Tuesday 24 June 2003 22:39, Liannan88 AT aol.com wrote:
> Someone told me once that the concept of "letting the wildlife have their
> fair share" only works in Disney movies! I've come to believe that. Last

There is a natural cycle for any animal. They will reproduce to match the
available food supply. God fixed this by creating predators to increase as
the target animal increased. Of course, with deer, there are no natural
predators left. They became extinct in Iowa before 1900. They were
reintroduced about 1950. No predators were reintroduced.

Last year, I got 40 bushel per acre on land that my Dad got 85-125 bushel per
acre. He had used open-pollinated corn, I had hybrid.

I thought about marketing produce with the slant that customers were
supporting wildlife, from rabbits to deer to eagles, but I doubt that I could
put a 400-500% upcharge on it.

The public has a good deal right now. The wildlife is owned by everybody, but
the farmer pays the upkeep. Why would anyone want to change?
--
Art Petrzelka
Amana, Iowa