market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Daylilies

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: dorsey AT verizon.net, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Daylilies
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 08:17:27 -0400

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 17:07:20 -0400, you wrote:

>I've been following the daylily thread and am surprised not to see mention
>of the fact that dried tigerLucia Dorsey
>dorsey AT verizon.net lily buds are a common ingredient in many Chinese dishes,
>most notably (for us "Westerners", anyway) Hot and Sour Soup. Though I may
>be mistaken, I think the ones used in this way are the wild tiger lilies.
>Someone out there who knows more about this, please correct me if I'm wrong!

I've always read (and believed) that they are day lilies
(hemerocallis).

It's awfully easy to grow day lilies, and they last roughly
forever once you have them.

I'd think it much more economical to grow them than to
wander around looking for wild lilies - especially in China
were every square inch possible is under cultivation. Not
much 'wild' there.

Therefore, I think it's probable that they are day lilies.

Pat