market-farming - [Market-farming] poppies

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Liz Pike" <liz AT laughingbrookfarm.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] poppies
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 11:29:07 -0400

I've been experimenting with what few poppies have made it through all the
rain, to see how best to make them last as cut flowers. The only poppies
to grow on the coast were Cal so I'm excited to be able to grow a larger
variety. I must justify their garden space despite how gorgeous they are.
They are doing extremely well, despite the low fertility of the plot they're
in.

I've experimented with dipping cut ends in hot wax, searing in an open flame
& doing nothing. Waxing lasts the longest, but only if they've just opened.
A couple of hours in harvest time makes a huge difference in vase time, the
difference in one day & 3-4 days. I need to them to last longer than 3-4
days if this increase in labor (waxing) is the only method to make them
last.

Are there other methods to lengthen vase time?? Or do they just not make
good cut flowers?? Has anyone tried drying them, and what methods do you
use??

Liz Pike
Laughingbrook Farm
Westfield NC