market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] poppies

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: becky watkins <beckywatkins2002 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] poppies
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 11:40:54 -0700 (PDT)

The only other thing I heard of for the poppies to
last longer was to burn the ends with a match. Your
idea with the wax sounds great. Sincerely, Becky
--- Liz Pike <liz AT laughingbrookfarm.com> wrote:
> I've been experimenting with what few poppies have
> made it through all the
> rain, to see how best to make them last as cut
> flowers. The only poppies
> to grow on the coast were Cal so I'm excited to be
> able to grow a larger
> variety. I must justify their garden space despite
> how gorgeous they are.
> They are doing extremely well, despite the low
> fertility of the plot they're
> in.
>
> I've experimented with dipping cut ends in hot wax,
> searing in an open flame
> & doing nothing. Waxing lasts the longest, but only
> if they've just opened.
> A couple of hours in harvest time makes a huge
> difference in vase time, the
> difference in one day & 3-4 days. I need to them to
> last longer than 3-4
> days if this increase in labor (waxing) is the only
> method to make them
> last.
>
> Are there other methods to lengthen vase time?? Or
> do they just not make
> good cut flowers?? Has anyone tried drying them,
> and what methods do you
> use??
>
> Liz Pike
> Laughingbrook Farm
> Westfield NC
> http://www.marketfarming.com
> http://www.laughingbrookfarm.com

> Get the list FAQ at:
http://www.marketfarming.net/mflistfaq.htm

=====
"Before you speak, ask yourself: Is it kind, is it necessary, is it true,
does it improve on the silence?" Shirdi Sai Baba, Indian saint.