market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] how long to irrigate

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: robert schuler <sunnfarm AT bellatlantic.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] how long to irrigate
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 12:54:31 -0400

Farmers who drip irrigate use irrometers. Its a soil moisture guage. They come in 6" 12" and 18" lengths and are set at those debths in the field to monitor moisture at each level. You could get by with a single 6" guage, when the guage reads low "a level you will have to determine based on your crops appearence ", you turn on the drip and leave it on til the guage reads full. They sell for about $50 each ...Bob
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.

Carol Larsen wrote:

I just put in a drip irrigation system on approx  1/2 acre of cut flowers. The soil is basically clay and most of the beds are covered with black landscape cloth (tubing in under the cloth except for seeded beds.  The system is poly tubing with t-tape.How do I know how long to irrigate? Thanks for your help! Wish we had more rain here. smile.Carol Larsen
Sunborn Gardens