market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Poppies

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Art Petrzelka <art AT complum.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>, "adriana" <gutierrez-lagatta AT charter.net>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Poppies
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 14:05:38 -0500

On Sunday 22 June 2003 14:32, adriana wrote:
> Lynn recommends the variety Hens and Chicks as the most popular cultivar
> for dried use, but warns that it is technically illegal to grow P.
> aomniferum and the DEA has started enforcing this against growers and the
> seed may not be available because of this.

The seed is available, but can be hard to find. In the culiinary range of
poppies, I have seen the Hungarian, blue breadseed and white poppyseed
varieties in various catalogs. All are Papaver somniferum. There is also a
variety bred to be extremely low in opioids, instead of very low in opioids.
When I worked at Frontier Herbs, we used to get pallets of poppyseed in 50
pound bags. It made me salivate!

The sap is the primary source of opioids. As long as you don't inhale when
you're sealing the ends of the poppies with a match, I doubt the DEA would
have legitimate grounds against you. ;-)

My garndmother was a criminal by the DEA's standards. It takes a couple
tablespoons of poppyseed ground up to make a good poppyseed kolache.

Technically, I'm a criminal everytime I weed my garden, and pull out some of
the marijuana that the government sponsored duing WWII to provide rope for
the war effort. It used to take intent to convict of a crime, now it just
takes "profiling".

I just ignore the technicalities when I have a good cultural reason, and
meditate on multiflora rose, and other gifts from the government, and the
other 102 plants that Iowa uses as grounds to trespass and spray my land to
rid the world of "noxious weeds".

Bah, humbug!
--
Art Petrzelka