market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Stumps

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Art Petrzelka <art AT complum.com>
  • To: "Franklin W. Davis" <Parsons2 AT attbi.com>, "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Stumps
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 11:08:52 -0500

On Thursday 19 June 2003 20:33, Franklin W. Davis wrote:
> Poor fellow a town over...pullin' stumps with a tractor...wasn't quick nuff
> on the clutch....won't have to sweat pullin' any more....left a wife and

Trees kill a lot of people. My family has been involved with logging for
generations. It makes me wonder if that's what we did in the Old Country,
too. But we've never lost anyone yet, thank God. A lot of people find that
they can't outrun a tree or outfox a tree, or generally are no match for the
immobile, brainless giant. There have been two or three people killed this
year by trees in my area. One of them ran a large manufacturing plant near
here.

That's why you need to hook on low, on the tree, and below the center of
gravity of the tractor, so the load pulls the front end down instead of up.
Guess I didn't make that plain in the last message. And I never pull
anything big. It's asking for trouble, If I can't drag it away by hand or at
least lift it, it's too big for pulling.

That's one drawback to technology. Using horse-power instead of horsepower,
the farmer had to know how to hitch up to get the best ouot of his team.
Today, you can hook up a chain between an irrestible force and an immovable
object and get yourself in real trouble real quick.

I recommend a book called "The Operation, Care and Repair of Farm Machinery",
published by John Deere. The company, not the man. I have the 13th edition,
no date. It covers hitching fundamentals in detail for tractors and horses in
one of the chapters. It should be available through used bookstores. I
usually got to www.abebooks.com for my used books.

It's also a great reference for those of us who get our new equipment out of
someone else's junkpile. ;-)
--
Art Petrzelka
Amana, Iowa