market-farming - [Market-farming] Corn & Clover

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Liannan88 AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Corn & Clover
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 17:28:16 EDT

<<I have never tried this, but has anyone ever grown a low cover crop, even
better a legume like clover or maybe a low one like yellow Dutch clover
throughout the corn patch?>>

I am having wonderful results this year by companion planting just about everything on my acreage.  The sweet clover was a boon, as I had planted it the fall before as a cover crop (not knowing any better!), & when I tilled the ground again for spring & planted, the clover came up with everything else.  It is growing amongst everything else in the garden & the crops have never looked greener!  Also, the 2 foot paths between crops are nothing but sweet clover, which I have to mow down occasionally for weeding & picking the crop rows.  The clover has attracted bees & ladybugs in the god-zillions & the smell is heavenly!

Also, I got my corn in early this year, before last frost, & before planting it, I broadcast English peas over the 5 ft band I plant my corn in, then tilled it under VERY shallowly.  I got several good crops of peas by the time the corn was tall.  I've also got bush & half-runner-type beans & black-eyed peas planted on the outside rows of my corn & okra so the runners will have something to "latch" onto.  It's working better than I could've imagined!

-Maridian Carlton
Clementine's
Bridgeport, TX