market-farming - [Market-farming] Re: Cover croops in corn

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: pam AT twinoaks.org
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re: Cover croops in corn
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 13:02:48 -0400

Paul Bock wrote:
> I have never tried this, but has anyone ever grown a low cover crop,
> even better a legume like clover or maybe a low one like yellow Dutch
> clover throughout the corn patch? Or maybe no-till drill corn into a
> brush hogged clover patch? I am just thinking of ideas to smother the
> weeds AND maybe provide some nitrogen in the process. Then you
> already have a cover growing when the corn is harvested and the ground
> is open.
What part of the country are you in, Paul? I'm central
Virginia, zone 6b. I sow soy beans under the sweet corn
at the second cultivation, when the corn is somewhere
between 15 and 24 inches tall. It does keep weeds
down to quite an extent, except the ones in the rows!
With our late planted sweet corn (July), instead of soy
we use oats. Then when the corn is finished, we bush-
hog, and leave the oats growing over-winter until they
get killed by cold weather. This gives us a nice patch
ready for use early in the spring, for potatoes, peas or
broccoli. I'm talking rototiller scale, not tractor, but the
same principles would apply.
Pam Dawling, Twin Oaks, Louisa, VA

  • [Market-farming] Re: Cover croops in corn, pam, 06/20/2003