market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Stumps

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Art Petrzelka <art AT complum.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>, "Chuck Evans" <mongotrout AT mchsi.com>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Stumps
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 19:10:00 -0500

On Thursday 19 June 2003 19:25, Chuck Evans wrote:
> I have many stumps in my otherwise fairly clean fence rows, and they keep

> Any ideas on how to get rid of them?

I pull them out with a chain and tractor. It works for just about anything
except boxelder, which is too brittle and weak to be constrained by a chain.
It's like trying to pull out Jello with a chain.
But I have good luck doing this with mulberry, elm, cherry if it's big enough
(2-4"), misguided walnut that could have lived elsewhere.... Honey locust,
the thorney kind that isn't even good for fenceposts, also appears to be too
brittle to pull this way.

Hook on low as you can, and use a chain and slip hook that is sized for the
tree, or it'll slip and skin the tree instead of pulling it out.
--
Art Petrzelka
Amana, Iowa