market-farming - [Market-farming] question

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Hook Family" <guldann AT ix.netcom.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] question
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 09:51:34 -0400

Since farming is planting and it sounds like you have done that before why
dont you try some simple focus, like salad greens or lots of variety of
peppers. I have found that farming needs to be the love of your life and
not a means to an end. The rewards are in the nuturing and growing, not
neccessarily the profit. Take a chance on yourself and start small with an
acre or so.
*******
I agree with the above start small. Start going to farmers markets now as a
customer to get the feel. I caution against a partner. See what you and
your family can do on your own. If you all like it and begin to expand then
think about an employee. Its seems however in small farming you'd best not
depend on the help and be able to do all of a days work yourself in a pinch.
Keep in mind as well net income with only yourselves working and net income
with employees it maybe the same even if the business is larger with
employees.

You can't be in a hurry it seems in a small business including farming it
takes 3 years to "get on the map". Oh yea I've heard of you. :). Then
after that you can decide how to expand.

We've been at it 6 years (CSA) and I was amazed to be contacted by a person
this past autumn who upon visiting a CSA a bit too far from her said to the
head farmer I wish there was one closer to me in my town and the guy says
there is Green Hill Farm. Keep in mind while I have met this farmer we
aren't buddy buddy. I assume he's read our name in local listings of CSA
and it sunk it. I thought we've "made it". Now if only that meant big
profits :). It might if the sun would come out, even Swiss chard isn't
growing :). Beth