market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Question

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: farmerherman AT igc.org
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Question
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 07:39:12 -0400 (GMT)

Your Extention Agent will help you with layout and other planning aspects.
If you are going to market garden organically, it will take several years to
build soil, in which time you and your family can learn a lot.

Someone must become a marketer. Growing great produce is only part of the
project. Someone must get top dollar for it. The market is out there, but
the commection must be made.

We have done the above. We started with beat out sand and only home
gardening experience, mechanical aptitude, marketing experience and two 50
year old bodies.

Good luck,

Original message attached.
  Hi all...would like some thoughts and ideas from you folks....I'll try to keep it short and brief..:-)
  My son... daughter...and I would like to get into market farming...but don't have any background except home gardening. We have at least ten acres out behind our homes that slightly slopes to the south/southwest. Was farm fields at one time...but now covered with junk pines and other type trees...most of which are around twelve inches in diameter...give or take. A stream borders the western boundary...so there is water year round. I plan on clearing this land and stumping it with a rented excavator....maybe two or three acres to start....then rent a dozer with root rake. Now the question...what do any of you think of taking in a partner that has training in market farming....either a recent graduate from school...or a farmer with knowhow? Someone that could help with the planning and work...right from the start....then share in the profits down the road. I know this is a loaded question...but the idea sounds like it has merit....what do you think?  Franklin