market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Another new member

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Judy Lynn" <hayesjl AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Another new member
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 11:53:41 -0700

Wendy... I am also growing some Native American tobacco this year and did some research, tobacco needs time to dry in order for it to not be so harsh.  The sites I saw reccomend a drier that would do the job quickly, another said  allow it to cure for about a year (dry on a screen so air can circulate around it.  I did see one site that said they allowed the leaves to wilt in the sun for a couple of days to soften them. These were then stripped from the stem, tied in bunches of about ten and hung upside down indoors to dry.Once they were dry, they misted them with water to keep them soft and pliant. They were misted two or three times a day, everyday, for about a month. After a few weeks the leaves changed from yellow to a lovely reddish brown colour and the room began to hum faintly of tobacco. then they shredded the tobacco by pushing the leaves through a coffee grinder or a kitchen blender..
   Judy

<
....  Only problem is, how do we turn a plant into smoking tobacco?  We know almost nothing.  Can you point us to some info?  Would really appreciate some help. ..
Wendy