market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Re: Hoes and tillers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Marie Kamphefner" <kampy AT grm.net>
  • To: "'Steve Sando'" <steve AT mrlucky.com>, "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Re: Hoes and tillers
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 14:03:34 -0500

Regards to the list:

Hi all! Thanks for the ideas!

I am hoeing in a new strawberry patch of 2000 plants. I can't put mulch
down yet I don't think, because that would discourage runners from
attaching. Those weeds are tiny and I hope I can keep ahead of them. I
think I need a Friday Hoe but I can't find one. The other thing I'm
hoeing is a new asparagus bed. We till between the rows, but I am
hoeing between the plants. I don't think I can mulch them yet either,
until late summer. The tomatoes, peppers, egg plant, cucumbers, etc etc
etc, are all mulched with hay, straw, grass clippings or whatever we can
find, so the weeds don't have a chance there. In the lettuce, I'm
letting the weeds grow and so far I've not had any bolt. Anyway, that's
my excuse. We put some old carpet down out in the onion patch so we
wouldn't sink to our necks in the mud when we harvested. That stuff is
great! No weeds there.

Everything is looking good for a change.

Marie in Missouri