market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Advice/nothing to harvest

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Cyndi Norman <cyndi AT tikvah.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: , cyndi AT tikvah.com
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Advice/nothing to harvest
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 18:38:41 -0000

From: "Hook Family" <guldann AT ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2003 10:27:59 -0400

I need some brilliant ideas to keep CSA members happy till the sun comes
out here in cloudy wet Massachusetts, even lettuce in growing in
microscopic increments.

I have no personal experience with a CSA, so that is my disclaimer off the
bat. But that never stopped me from giving advice anyway!

Liz gave a nice definition of a CSA which was an investment in the farm.
You pay in advance for a season's worth of return. In other words, it's a
gamble. As long as the shareholders know this in advance, I'd think they'd
be okay with a delay of 1-2 weeks. I would be as long as it was explained
before I invested and also at the time you realized there was a delay.

But it's nice of you to try to put something together anyway.

Next week is first pickup, I don't even have Swiss Chard (the seeds have
barely sprouted ). I have got enough small Pak Choi one for each
membership (damn the sharers but I warned them ha ha), I suppose I have
two but I'll need them for the following week :).

People who choose to share a membership understand that their items aren't
always going to be easily dividable. They'll deal with it. They can cut
Pak Choi in half or spoon jam into their own jars if they choose. Or they
can work out another split of their choice. It's really up to the sharers
themselves.

I have plenty of Thyme (ha ha), chives and sage. A taste of volunteer
dill and cilantro. I might by next week have a few wild daisies fingers
crossed for this weed :).

How about herbed vinegars? They take a couple weeks really to infuse but
you could bottle them anyway and let people "age" them themselves.

Herbed breads or crackers.

Suggestions: Eggs I usually sell them

Those would be good.

I think other posters had great ideas about using barter with other
producers. Honey, maple syrup, whatever works. And maybe you can develop
relationships with other CSA farmers. Maybe this week one of them has more
cool-season vegetables than they know what to do with but are going to be
short when you are flush with something in a couple of months.

Good luck.

Cyndi

Petaluma, California Zone 9 USDA; Zone 15 Sunset Western Garden
Guide
Chemically sensitive/disabled - Organic Gardening only by choice and
neccessity
Cyndi
Norman
Handcrafted organic soaps & cosmetics