market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Re:kiwi growing

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Windsoap AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Re:kiwi growing
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2003 11:48:27 EDT

In a message dated 6/8/2003 7:43:42 AM Central Daylight Time, pat AT meadows.pair.com writes:

I understand that Paris is ringed by market gardens - the
French, of course, insist on good, wholesome, fresh food.

Paris is indeed ringed by market gardens.  A visit to France is a revelation:  in Paris, there are not only greengrocers and shopping streets, but any day of the week there are several "roving markets".  These are set up in the wee hours and at 9:am, are crammed with vendors and shoppers.  For sale are every in-season veg, including exotic mushrooms, organic cheeses, eggs, meats...everything and it is all FRESH.  Venture out of Paris and find produce from small, local farms.  Fruits and veggies picked at first light and hauled to market in small trucks and vans.  Should you decide to visit, be sure to rent an apartment or small house - you will need a kitchen when the overwhelming urge to cook seizes you!

I did learn a lot over there and apply what I can here.
Wendy

  • Re: [Market-farming] Re:kiwi growing, Windsoap, 06/08/2003