market-farming - Re: Fw: [Market-farming] Hand saw.

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "jay gee" <JayGee AT jghelp.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Fw: [Market-farming] Hand saw.
  • Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2003 01:26:59 -0700 (PDT)

Franklin W. Davis wrote:

> Hi all...I'm interested in a hand saw...one man... that I can cut down
> trees with...most of which will be under 12"...with a few over that. Any
> thoughts or brand names you can share would help.

Hi Franklin,

Although I haven't felled any trees recently using a hand saw,
I did when I was a teener (way back when) and would make
the following recommendations:

A sturdy bow saw is a useful tool for pruning and sawing trees
already downed, but the blade is inadequate for safely felling
trees because it is thin and narrow.

Get a 36" or 42" one-man crosscut saw with "starter teeth" for
best results. It will be expensive, but with good care will last
many lifetimes and is resharpenable. The blade is thicker
and stiffer than a bow saw blade and the depth and offset of the
teeth clears sawdust (wet or dry) more easily, thereby saving
your arm. Lastly, the blade is less likely to be pinched if you
cut at a reasonable down angle away from you.

You may find a used one if you look around. A new
one will run you at least $100.

If you buy a used one, have it professionally sharpened
and reconditioned before using it. If the teeth are not
set properly, it won't work right.

www.crosscutsaw.com

or consult your local hardware store.

Good luck.

jay gee
not a farmer -- but interested in farming

Free marketing aids for farmers at:
http://jghelp.com/farming