market-farming - RE: Fw: [Market-farming] Hand saw.

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: <bob AT akasha.net>
  • To: "'Jay Gee'" <jaygee AT jghelp.com>, "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: RE: Fw: [Market-farming] Hand saw.
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2003 11:11:57 -0500

A sturdy bow saw is a useful tool for pruning and sawing trees
already downed, but the blade is inadequate for safely felling
trees because it is thin and narrow.

Guys the original question was cutting trees up to 12" - Now a sturdy bow
saw is far easier than a large whip saw that one man will use. I am not Paul
Bunion and a 30# crosscut saw is a pain to operate for an old man. Where as
a large bow saw like 42" is much lighter, the blade is kept taught and does
not bend, bow, and buckle. If you cut the first side lower and if necessary
take a small V out before cutting the back side (away from the direction of
fall) then all works well and is far easier. Now as far as blade pinch well,
any blade will pinch if you have not planed your cut or if you are not
keeping your cutting blade waxed. When you wax you can use any candle you
have laying around just coat the blade thoroughly with the wax by turning
the candle on the side. Because a bow saw blade is thinner and kept straight
by the bow it is much easier to saw with. There is not any need to remove
excess material to compensate for a thicker blade and the cut is much
faster. So for ease if you are not into Paul Bunion heavy be like a pioneer
and feel the extra labor and sweat just for the experience of mastering a 30
pound whip saw to say you cut with it, I still recommend the bow saw. A
woman with a bow saw and knowledge of cutting will probably fell a tree
faster than a highly hormoned young male burdened with a thick whip saw on
the same tree. Now if the tree is over 12" then things begin to change as
bow saws only get so big. If you have a 2 or 3 foot tree and there is no
chainsaw around and no quality axes and there is a 5 to 7 foot whip saw you
have my sympathy because for how ever romantic the notion sounds it is just
too much work for this old man to ever do again. I would have to have 3
buckets of stupid poured on me first.
Bob C