market-farming - [Market-farming] kiwi growing

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Frederick.Crowley AT valley.net (Frederick Crowley)
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org, Frederick.Crowley AT valley.net (Frederick Crowley)
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [Market-farming] kiwi growing
  • Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2003 02:13:54 -0000

Franklin wrote:
Hi Fred...I would like to know more about your kiwi growing...if you would
take the time to tell me.
=======================================
Hardy kiwi (Actinidia arguta) is a smooth skinned (eat without peeling) fruit
about the size of a large grape, but a much more vigorous vine requiring a
very heavy support, grown in average soil, with few diseases here so far.
Originating in NE Asia, it is hardy into zone 4 but late frosts can nip the
flowers. Male and female flowers are on separate plants. Fruit is first
harvested at perhaps the fourth season. My major work is PRUNING...the vine
likes to grow and twine, and requires a major late winter pruning, with a
midseason cutting helpful. Unlike grapes, kiwis will fruit for several years
on the same wood, 'tho orderly trimming is still necessary. I made the
mistake of growing on a pergola, so the rampant growth is straight up and
hard to reach (snow shoes on deep snow help me reach the top but starting
anew, I would advise a vertical rather than horizontal configuration). The
fruit is sweeter than tropical kiwi, and might have some market potential but
only easily keeps for 10-14 days, is somewhat "dirty" in that the blossom end
can be obvious, and is fragile enough that tediously cutting the stems works
better than picking (which rips out the stem, reducing shelf life).
Being new to the list, I'm not sure how much to go on. Hope this helps.

Fred Crowley
Weathersfield, Vermont