market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Detected Viruses

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rick Williams" <mrfarm AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Detected Viruses
  • Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 17:16:27 -0600

It is VERY common to have your list subscribed to by a "robot" program that
then tries to send a message to the list and it may contain a url to steer
people to a particular site. Often one that most people would find
objectionable.

As the "moderator" on Grazersedge, I have seen as many as one a day for a
while, but then it quieted down quite a bit and administration of the list
has been minimal.

The one problem I have is that those who unsub and then sub again, require
me to reset their ability to post to the list which is rather time consuming
because it is done through a web based system.

There are good things about the web based system, however, as the list
owner/moderator(s) can access it any time and from any location with
internet access to keep things current. Also, unlike the "problems" that
some here claim they have, this issue never comes up because they can easily
and quickly view only the messages that they want to and not even look at
the rest.

I am on half a dozen web centered lists and it would be very difficult to
accept that much traffic as some of them receive well over 50 posts a day.
But it is easy with the ability to select the topics that you want via the
web.

I see that there is a market farming list on Yahoogroups, but it is not very
active. Unless you ask a question:)

We have over 500 members on Grazersedge and have little problems with off
topic issues since we do ask for OT for the heading and as long as people
respect that, it has worked well.

Sincerely,

Rick Williams
Misty Ridge Farm