market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Okra, was] WIC Farmers Market program

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rick Hopkins" <rdhopkins AT americanpasturage.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Okra, was] WIC Farmers Market program
  • Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 21:41:12 -0600

Yum! That how my Mom used to fix it.

Rick H.

-----Original Message-----
From: market-farming-bounces AT lists.ibiblio.org
[mailto:market-farming-bounces AT lists.ibiblio.org]On Behalf Of Marie
Kamphefner
Sent: Tuesday, February 18, 2003 9:44 AM
To: 'Market Farming'

Regards to the list:

Okra, nasty and slimy? Nope. Try this:

Melt butter in a non stick skillet. Wash and slice okra - maybe 3 or 4
cups or however much you want and put in hot butter. Salt, pepper and
add some garlic powder or mince up a few garlic cloves (Del, you might
like this after all). Then sprinkle some flour over all - I put mine in
a sifter and just shake it over the skillet until the top is pretty much
white. Then stir it all together. Cook, turning with a spatula
frequently, until most of the pieces are golden and crusty. This is
from my friend's husband's aunt who lives in Southern Mississippi. It
doesn't matter how much of this I fix, we eat it all. It's also good
with olive oil instead of butter.

Marie in Missouri