market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Okra

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rick Hopkins" <rdhopkins AT americanpasturage.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Okra
  • Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 21:49:56 -0600

Marie,

Come on down, I'll fix you the real thing. If you don't feel like the
drive, here is my recipe.

Rick H.

? Cajun Gumbo

The Rouxe

One Stick of Butter
Two rounded Table Spoons of Flour

Melt butter in non-stick skillet over medium heat. Stir in flour.
Constantly stir over low-medium heat for about 45 minutes, or until
a light chocolate color. Flour will appear to turn to a sandy
appearance. Take care not to burn as evidenced by a strong fatty
odor. Set aside for later use.

Spices

One Tablespoon of Tony's Cajun Seasoning (Tony Cachere')
One Tablespoon of Worcestershire Sauce
One Teaspoon of Tiger Sauce
One Teaspoon of chopped garlic
One half cup of chopped parsley

Chop the following:

One Large Sweet White Onion
Two to Three stalks of celery
One Quarter Bell Pepper
One small bunch of green onions - separate green tops from bulbs
for topping at serving time

Brown One to One and one half pound of meat in skillet. Smoked
meats such as polish sausage, chicken, rabbit, squirrel, or pork
work well. Seafood must be added near the end of the cooking
process to prevent over cooking.

After browning the meat or meats, place them in a 6 quart stainless
or non-stick pot. Stir fry the chopped vegetables and the spices
in the skillet used for the meat. Add a couple tablespoons of
cooking oil if necessary. Add the browned vegetables to the meat
pot.

You will need about a pound of okra. Fresh works best, but frozen
will work also. Cut into half inch long pieces and brown in the
same skillet using just enough oil to keep from sticking. Add this
to the meat pot.

Add two quarts of water and one cup of white wine. Allow to simmer
for at least a couple of hours. It is best to cook one day prior
to serving and cooling over night in the refrigerator. Reheat over
low to med heat until first boil.

Cook two cups (dry measurement) of rice to serve with the Gumbo.

To serve, take about a half of bowl of cooked rice, ladle gumbo
over the rice to make serving soupy. Garnish with the chopped
green onion tops and file't (found in some grocery spice racks).
I also like to add a little more Tony's seasoning at this time and
some minced Jalepeno peppers. Taste prior to adding these spices
as it make already be "hot" enough for some.