market-farming - [Market-farming] WIC Farmers Market program

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mckemie AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] WIC Farmers Market program
  • Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 17:51:15 -0600

Here in Texas, we've had some interesting developments in our WIC
program. For years, the program has treated the honest (enforced no
reselling) and the dishonest (peddler infested) markets equally.
Recently the honest markets have experienced pressure to increase the
"redemption rates". The program is administered in Texas by the Texas
Department of Health. Last year, they temporarily halted funding for
the areas with honest markets; money was tight and they gave preference
to the areas where redemption rates had previously been high. This
year, officers of honest market associations have been told that the
associations should allow re-selling in order to increase the
redemption rates. So, they are in effect telling the honest markets
that they must become dis-honest in order to continue to receive WIC
funding.

Our season peaks in June while the cut off date for WIC redemption is
the last day of September. At the honest markets we see relatively few
WIC customers until September. At that time, when the WIC customers
appear in droves, gone are tomatoes, peaches, blackberries, most
everything. We sell them pears, watermelon, cantaloupe and maybe some
squash and cucumbers. What they want is apples, bananas, and oranges,
which they can get at the dis-honest markets.

Since this clearly subverts the intent of the WIC Farmers Market
program, we feel the need to bring this to the attention of those that
control the program. The Texas Health Department is convinced that
their role is solely to insure high redemption rates, so we need to go
beyond them. Who can tell me who that is?

--
Willie ONWARD! Through the fog!
Are YOU an html abuser? http://www.expita.com/nomime.html