market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Green bean varieties

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Alex McGregor <waldenfarm AT sprintmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Green bean varieties
  • Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 13:08:32 -0500

I've settled in on Roma II. They produce large, flat pods and have a
lot of flavor. I started growing these in '93 about the time a big seed
co. started selling a bush bean variety to large farmers that was tough
and flavorless, but could be machine picked and shipped. Lotta people
got burned at the supermarket and wouldn't buy bush beans. they bought
the Romas because they look & taste like pole beans. One drawback- they
hang onto the plant more than some varieties, harder to pick.

I got them from Johnny's for years and then found a local feed & seed
that sells them cheaper with no s&h.

--
Alex McGregor
Walden Farm