market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] re: selling grass-fed roasts and ground beef

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: jjvaughn AT juno.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] re: selling grass-fed roasts and ground beef
  • Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 09:15:25 -0600

We use what we call a beef bundle(we have a pork pack also) that is 4 lb
ground beef, 1 roast, 1 pack minute steak for $25.00 which is a savings
of 2 to 3 dollars. It helped us move roasts and also built more demand
for roasts- people began to add them to their order after trying the beef
bundle. I think 20 or $25 is the limit for selling bundles at the
market- over that we run into the too much meat, too much money problem.

We were swimming in pork roasts at the end of our market season and
offered them at "buy 3 get 1 free". It moved many more pounds of meat
than when we tried offering % discounts to sell over flow and let us get
rid of meat that wouldn't of held until May.

Our market experience is that steaks move faster than other cuts

Jim and Julie Vaughn
Rocky Glade Farm
Eagleville, TN
615-274-3496
jjvaughn AT juno.com

  • Re: [Market-farming] re: selling grass-fed roasts and ground beef, jjvaughn, 02/07/2003