market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Rattlesnake beans

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Del Williams" <delannw AT dlogue.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Rattlesnake beans
  • Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 07:13:15 -0600

No, my purple beans were bush beans and they are called Royal Burgundy.

I grew a purple pole bean but the name escapes me at the moment.  They weren't striped though.  Solid purple, easy to pick and prolific.

I liked the bush bean better but both were good.

I've grown Kentucky Wonders and I like those.  It's just that so many people sold them at the market that I went for something different so I wasn't competing on exactly the same type of bean.

At that time... I other vendors were selling their beans at under $1/ lb.  I sold my purple beans for $1.50/lb.  As long as I sold what I brought to the market, I was happy for that.

The other "bean" I like very well is southern butter beans.  I have no idea what varieties I grew because my father-in-law from Mississippi gave me the seed.  Delicious though and I had no trouble selling them.  No one else grew them or sold them at our market.

Del Williams
Farmer in the Del
Clifton IL