market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Figs

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mckemie AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Figs
  • Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 11:33:26 -0600

On Tue, Feb 11, 2003 at 11:06:34AM -0600, Joan Vibert wrote:
> I understand that fig trees can be pruned to stay smaller which may keep
> them within the confines of a hoophouse - ours is only about 8' tall but the
> one I'd build for figs would be more in the 12' range. If they are getting
> five a bucket in California - we ought to do better here where they are less
> easily grown. I pay about $2.50 a pint when they are on sale at Whole
> Foods. What's a bucket?

Here in Texas, we have trouble producing salable fruit on the the "open
eye" California types like Mission. We generally use "closed eye"
varieties: Texas Everbearing, Celeste, Brown Turkey, Alma, Green Ischia.
We get $2-$4 per pint at farmers markets, depending mainly on supply.
And supply has been short for many years. I believe it was 1986 when we
had a freeze that knocked every fig in the area to the ground. After
that for 10-12 years, the figs struggled, many years the tender young
growth getting frozen to the ground again. We are finally getting fair
sized bushes again.

It seems to me that figs do not bear really well until they get 10
years or so of top growth.

--
Willie Really a farmer, but not very interested in farming.
Are YOU an html abuser? http://www.expita.com/nomime.html