market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Figs

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Steve Sando" <steve AT mrlucky.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Figs
  • Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 08:24:06 -0800

> Steve,
>
> A friend and fellow market farmer just across the state line in Georgia,
Zone 7,
> grows figs and they're prolific. I rooted some cuttings of some of his
> varieties (mainly Brown Turkey?) to try them here. I'm on the Cumberland
> Plateau at 2,200 ft., so that puts me somewhere around Zone 6.
>
> I've got them covered with pots now and we'll see if they survived the
last
> arctic blast (+10 deg.). Yours should do well in a hoophouse, but be sure
you
> get the hardiest varieties and keep them pruned. The air in an unheated
> hoophouse will reach freezing, but the soil probably won't, protecting the
> roots.
> Alex McGregor
> Walden Farm

Thanks, but it wasn't me who was trying to grow them in a hoophouse. It was
Joan in KS.

Here (in CA) the fig of choice seems to be Black Mission. No one seems to
sell the green ones with the pink flesh. I think they might have special
pollination needs.

ANd again- $5 per littel strawberry basket!!!

Steve
www.ranchogordo.com