market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Jay's criticism of Rick Ws web site

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rick Williams" <mrfarm AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Jay's criticism of Rick Ws web site
  • Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 19:46:47 -0600

Del Williams wrote:
> Well one thing that would be helpful would be a map and some pics to
> actually ID the farm.

That is a good point and we have thought about doing it. I have some
pictures of the farm in the pictures section, but this should be up front.
But it is not that exciting you know:)

However, we are extremely hard to miss. Six miles west of Viroqua, WI right
on State Highway 56, or 1 mile west of Bud, WI. A barn that is 35 feet from
the state highway, and with the new sign and all, it is very visible. We are
amazed at the number of people who know where our place is located now that
the sign went up.

It used to be "Oh yeah, you live at the Carl Hanson Farm." And we still hear
that as well, even from people miles away. But that is slowly changing and I
bet within 20 years most people who travel between Genoa and Viroqua will
know:)

We do have lots of long term plans on the web site but to be honest, I don't
care much for glitzy sites that look too professional because my first
reaction is that this is not authentic farmers if they did the site.

Content is really my major concern and I made the site into the type of site
that I would want to see as a customer. I put myself in the customers place
and tried to make it an honest statement, plus some extras like my nature
and art photography.
I should mention that ALL pictures on the site are our own work.

Although I do not make a living with photography, I did work my way through
college doing photography both as a group photographer and as a University
Public Relations/Educational Photographer on a partime basis. I do NOT miss
the chemicals with the new technologies that have come into play, some only
since the summer of 2002, such as the Epson 2200 printer that came the
other day.

So I am working on learning the ropes on doing fine art gliclee type
photographic printing and it is another product that we hope to market this
summer at the farmer's market. Along with our bird houses that are the
improved bird friendly type that overcomes the death traps that many well
meaning, but incompetently designed bird houses often become.

Sincerely,

Rick Williams
Misty Ridge Farm
Direct marketed dairy beef and produce