market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Re: Greenhouse- milk jugs

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: <bob AT akasha.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Re: Greenhouse- milk jugs
  • Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 22:39:26 -0600

Title: Message

 was told that in most parts of the U.S. there is 'theoretically' enough btu's coming in over the year to keep a Greenhouse at 65F year round. Most of us are farming in a less than theoretical world though.

There is a fellow that used to dig a 2’ wide ditch about 15’ down then lay down 2 each 4” PVC pipe covered up about 1’ then put 2 more 4” PVC pipe down in a big U that went out 75 ‘ across 50’ and back 75 foot. He would then pump air down the pipes from inside the house and get the air at a constant 68 degrees in the winter and around 74 in the summer. I don’t know what happened to him .  I thought that it was a neat idea and wondered if that would be enough to help a greenhouse. The earth does use the whole season into the next season if you go down enough it gets fairly constant.