market-farming - [Market-farming] Any ideas on a home made cooler?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Paul Bucciaglia <pbucciaglia AT yahoo.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Any ideas on a home made cooler?
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 14:57:11 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

I am renting a new piece of land that doesn't have a barn (yet...) and I'm thinking through some ideas for a temporary cooler, and would really appreciate any feedback.  Some possibilities are

-used cooler put outside (maybe with shed roof over it, or a sealed roof on the cooler).

-no cooler, just harvest and sell (I like this the least)

-old reefer truck, park it and plug it in

-frame up a small room in the basement of the house (basement has a door).

I like the idea of an old reefer truck, but if one doesn't materialize cheaply there is a working air conditioner in the basement, I was going to frame up a small room (8X10?) with styrofoam insulation and maybe some plastic, stick the air conditioner in and try to get by for a year while I work on getting a packing/storage shed together. I am planning on farming 4 acres of mixed veg this season, I have 15 acres available down the road.

I have managed and worked on farms with 'real coolers' ; I'm curious to hear what peoples' experience with the air conditioner jury rigged kind--what kind of temps can be expected, any adverse effects on produce?

Thanks for any info,

Paul Bucciaglia

Fort Hill Farm, New Milford, CT

Do you Yahoo!?