market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] OT Thought Provoking

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Del Williams" <delannw AT dlogue.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] OT Thought Provoking
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 13:49:03 -0600

My thinking exactly Don.

But it clarifies what meaning people have in their heads when they talk
about the left and the right.

When you start bringing in issues that those on the right and left do not
agree about, like abortion, it makes drawing those lines even more
difficult.

I noticed that the website Marc passed along is built by Roman Catholic
priests. As political activists, priests have traditionally been very
involved in issues (besides abortion) that are more left ward in philosophy.
I'm specifically thinking about activism in Central and South America.
Interesting website Marc. Thanks for passing it along.

I still go back to individualism being at the core of American culture.

There is an interesting book called Habits of the Heart: Individualism and
Commitment in American Life. (Authors: Robert N. Bellah, R. Madsen, WM
Sullivan, Ann Widler and SM Tipton). It examines several American
communities and the 'struggle' between individualism and a commitment to
community. The beginning chapters focus on the historical development of
American political philosophy.

Interesting reading and, to me, far more enlightening about the motives and
goals of Americans than an analysis of left/right as though it is a
dichotomy and not a continuum.

Del Williams (<--- a moderate... lol... sittin' on the fence... clowns to
the left of me, jokers on the right)
Farmer in the Del
Clifton IL