market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] OT Thought Provoking (or maybe justprovoking:)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Jill Taylor Bussiere" <jdt AT itol.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] OT Thought Provoking (or maybe justprovoking:)
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 17:11:24 -0600

Rick,
I didn't take offense at your statement about the cost of living
longer - as it is a reality.

I do find your blind characterization of the left sort of ironic, since
there is a richness of viewpoints that people have whatever their political
bent.

I see some elements of the right in a similar way - wanting power over
all that belongs to us collectively - wanting to decide what women can do
with their bodies, wanting to decide what is art and what is offensive,
wanting power over others by making money=free speech, wanting power over
workers, etc. - some seem to want all of the freedoms and none of the
responsibilities.

At the same time, I see elements of similarity with some on the right
and those on the left - local control and some other things.

I do want to suggest that it is not helpful to put people in boxes too
firmly, as it doesn't allow for a very good dialogue, which is necessary for
democracy, and to understand the depth of issues. There are all sorts of
things that I agree with with my Republican friends, and some that I
disagree with. Many of them, like you, can not acknowledge corporate
welfare. They can only see government control when it is for the benefit of
the greater good. Others can see corporate control clearly, and work hard
against it and corporate welfare. There are people on the right and the
left that are passionate about democracy and about participation in the
election process. And on and on. When you are open, you find there are all
sorts of similarities of view - you and I even share some. We are both
firmly entrenched on issues that we know a lot about, and disagree on some
that we know a lot about.

It is helpful for me to see views more as within a circle rather than a
line - this worldview allows me the possibility of more dialogue.

Jill