market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] OT Thought Provoking (or maybe justprovoking:)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Del Williams" <delannw AT dlogue.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] OT Thought Provoking (or maybe justprovoking:)
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 04:30:23 -0600

LOL, that is too cute. A farmer who farms just for the fun of it.

Yeah, I'm with Marc... give me a capitalist anyday.

Well, I wish I had the luxury of such an experiment. Unfortunately, I have
obligations that require funds. For example, a child about to go to a
university and tuition isn't cheap. Then, of course, there is the bank that
holds the mortgage to this place. They like their payments on the first of
every month and they don't care if I am having fun writing the check. Then
there are the tax payments that have risen 400% since I bought this place in
'94. Shocking but true.

And as I watch my mutual funds go belly up in this rotten economy, I wonder
how many years it will take to recover financially. Not to mention the fact
that I am going to retire with one income instead of two. And I am going to
retire one day. That is a definite goal.

Nope, I don't have the luxury to experiment with market farming. Sure, I
love doing it but I'm in it for profit. My little 'experiment' was about
doing something I loved to see if one could make a decent living at it. I
think that is possible. However, it was more possible to embark on such an
experiment when I had a spouse with a full-time job.

It must be a pretty semi-charmed life to start a business without a profit
motive.

Isn't that called a hobby?

Del Williams
Farmer in the Del