market-farming - Re: Green Garlic

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Joan Vibert <joan AT windwalker-farm.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Green Garlic
  • Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2002 07:37:44 -0600

Adriana -

One of the things our market customers look forward to in the spring is the
green garlic - they use it just like garlic for flavor - usually sautéing
it. We bunch them - about six to seven per bunch and they sell for $1 to
$1.25 per bunch. I've never wholesaled them. I usually sell out of them at
market because people have tried them and love the fresh garlic flavor.

Like Doreen said - I just sort out the tiny bulbs that I don't want to plant
for full bulbs and plant those for green garlic and, yes, they can go really
close together. I think I've mostly planted the California late white
because those are where I get some smaller bulbs.

Once they are pulled I just rinse them off well and bunch them. I try not
to have to strip down any layers but one in a while they will need that,
which, of course, takes longer. They are far quicker than green onions to
pull, clean and bunch. We just keep them in the cooler. They can easily be
pulled a couple of days ahead of market and we've used them for several
weeks after harvest - but I usually sell only the freshly pulled ones.

Joan
Windwalker Farm
Ottawa, Kansas