market-farming - Re: Green Garlic

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Al Tent" <tentborg AT aol.com>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Green Garlic
  • Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 00:23:27 -0500

Bill,
Before I learned better I allowed the seed stalks to develop and planted
the bulbils and yes, they have a harvestable top, though a rudimentary
bulb, that can easily be harvested in the spring for green garlic. Now, I
no longer let any of my cultivars of garlic produce seed stalks as the
energy used to flower is better used to produce larger bulbs. However,
there is native or wild garlic rampant in the fields with bulbils and this
could easily be planted in the fall for a green garlic spring crop.
Otherwise it takes two years for the bulbils to develop a bulb of any
significance. Great idea and good tip!

Peace,

John Herndon

Buffalo Rome Farm