market-farming - RE: Bale unrollers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Marie Kamphefner" <kampy AT grm.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Bale unrollers
  • Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 10:38:00 -0600

Thanks all for the information about bale unrollers.  Since my knee surgery a year and a half ago, I have become so feeble at times that I have to have labor-saving devices.  I don’t know if I could push a big bale across a garden bed or control its rolling if it started down a hill.  I work here by myself all during the week.  Hubby got me an old golf cart at an auction so I can load it up with my garden stuff and drive out to the various plots.  Sure saves me a lot of pain, and it’s fun.  Has anyone ever seen or heard of a folding step ladder thing to attach to a tractor so it’s easier to climb on?  It’s really unhandy to have a knee that doesn’t work well.

We have lots of old big bales.  We strip-planted our bottom in hay for weed control about three years ago.  We had a guy bale the hay on shares and he never took his share so we have lots of it.  We didn’t sell it because we felt it didn’t belong to us, but now, it’s time to do something with it.  The weeds are less of a problem each year we’re here, but there are still plenty.  I have visions of all the gardens mulched with that old hay and not a weed in sight!

We have an old hammer mill in the shed that runs off PTO.  Would that be suitable to grind hay?  My dad used to grind corn with it.

  • Bale unrollers, HackettShark, 11/06/2002
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • RE: Bale unrollers, Marie Kamphefner, 11/06/2002
    • RE: Bale unrollers, HackettShark, 11/06/2002