market-farming - Re: Green Garlic

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Joan Vibert <joan AT windwalker-farm.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Green Garlic
  • Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2002 07:55:35 -0600

Actually, Adriana, before I figured out to use the small bulbs for this
purpose, I would just pull random garlic that looked a little smaller from
my garlic beds in the spring. They all size up about the same time in late
May or so and each week you'll have a successively larger bulb as you pull -
which still sells for us. They buy the "green garlic" almost right up to
the garlic harvest. Of course, as they size up the outer skins begins to
toughen and I'll remove a little of it. Most of our customers are so hooked
on good garlic that they will buy it at any stage.

We used the green garlic a lot in our prepared foods this year - like
hummus, pestos, and all - it came in quite handy and worked well for us.

Joan
Windwalker Farm
Ottawa, Kansas