market-farming - Re: Green Garlic

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Alliums <garlicgrower AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Green Garlic
  • Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2002 07:59:35 -0500

Questions:
1. What is the going price for them?

Depends on local demand, but they don't keep well (unlike regular heads) so don't put a lot of effort into this if you can't sell them. If you can't sell fresh scapes, I wouldn't make the effort.

2. What varieties work best?

Most folks who do this use it as a way of planting out their tiny cloves. If you have garlic heads that just didn't get large enough to sell, folks plant them to sell either as garlic greens (cut like chives) or the garlic scallions. This is a way to use up small heads, not a specific variety.

I actually have some varieties in this year's trials that did AWFUL, so if I had a market, I'd have the cloves to plant out. However, there isn't the demand here, so the tiny cloves either turn into pickles or garlic powder. Both keep a heck of a lot longer.

3. Are there any special post-harvest handling issues?

Treat like any other scallions or chives. Does NOT keep, so don't invest a lot if you don't have a market.

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of