market-farming - Garlic

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: pam AT twinoaks.org
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Garlic
  • Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2002 19:21:53 -0400

If you're growing garlic and you haven't got a
copy of Ron Engeland's book "Growing Great
Garlic", I strongly recommend you get it. Only
$12.95, and will pay for itself in saved mistakes
in no time!
On storage he says below 40F or above
50F. Between those temperatures you have the
best possible sprouting temperatures! Good for
your seed garlic but not for eating later. Ideal
storage is 36-39F or 60-70F. Dryish air (not
damp) with good air circulation.
On selecting seed garlic he recommends
bulbs 2-2 1/2 inches in diameter (for hardneck
garlic). The giant bulbs are more likely to be
irregular and have tiny cloves mixed in.
About planting dates - Marlin, I wonder if
this is what happened to you? Ron says if you
plant too early you can get very big bulbs, but
they don't have a high dry matter content and
will shrivel after harvest.
We've been using this book for several
years, and our garlic has gone from strength to
strength.
Pam, Twin Oaks, Central Virginia