market-farming - Re: garlic

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Alliums <garlicgrower AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: garlic
  • Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 08:44:20 -0400

So I've had my garlic hanging by it's neck in the open hay loft all summer, and it's kept great. It's getting cold now, I assume I can't leave it there to freeze - what's the best way to keep it? A cold closet?

Don't let it freeze. Now that it's dry, you can pretend it's onions again for storage purposes. (Just don't do that by drying it in the sun)

I thought I planted late in November last year. When I went today to order for next year I found that a lot of it is sold out - am I late? When should I get it in the ground (MA)?

You're way late -- there's a reason so many growers called me in August -- I myself was sold out by mid-September and I've had several requests this month from folks who just can't find any. Seed garlic is work, but the market is there!

I'm planting my garlic now and I'm in Zone 6. I would think you should be planting now or should have done it last week, depending on how warm it is/was. November sounds a bit late to me although technically, you can do it as long as the ground hasn't frozen. However, since the purpose of fall planting is to develop a good root system, one tries to get the garlic in the ground when it's not so warm for so long that it will sprout aboveground, but not so cold that it won't get busy growing out those roots! I'd plant now where you live.

Can I use some of what we harvested as seed?

If it's solid, go ahead. Don't plant any heads that contain a diseased clove. Better yet, try to plant from bunches that are free of disease. Of the solid ones, plant those with the largest heads.

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of

  • garlic, David.Purpura, 10/21/2002