market-farming - Re: garlic

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Chris Sawyer <css AT ioa.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: garlic
  • Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 06:20:44 -0500

I replant my own garlic. I have been told, and it seems so in our experience
that garlic grown here for seed does better than garlic shipped in. We always
plant some seed cloves we order from Johnny's along with our
own and ours does better than theirs. (It all came from them to start with)
Large cloves will make large heads and small ones smaller heads. We throw out
or chop the smaller cloves for our kitchen and plant the larger ones. I
prefer the stiff neck german variety after having grown soft neck
for two years for braids we quit doing that variety because it wont keep as
well for us as the stiff neck. Last year I had some left over and just left
it in the shed all winter, it was still alive and sprouting in
the spring after having many frozen days and nights. I don't think it is
damaged by freeze....after all it grows all winter.
We are growing an acre of it this winter. I planted 50 lbs plus from our own
stock and ordered 25 pounds from Johnny's. Theirs is not certified, but grown
organically. BTW we got our certification from Clemson
yesterday in the nick of time to deliver with our load to the wholesale
wharehouse....a huge relief.

Chris
www.jakesfarm.com
www.asapconnections.org check the csa links for pictures