market-farming - Re: Lake of the Ozarks market start-up

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Richard & Faye" <rifa AT advertisnet.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Lake of the Ozarks market start-up
  • Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2002 14:46:17 -0500

Thanks for you input Marcie. I have in fact spoken with many of the
individuals that you listed in your reply. One of my current outlets is due
to the work of Teresa Hoy with University Extension and the Local Harvest
Program.

I would differ with you on your opinion that most tourist eat at
restaurants, at least at Lake Ozarks. As a former meat cutter for the Osage
Beach Wal-marts I watch each Friday evening as hundreds of people from St.
Louis and Kansas City came in buy groceries for the weekend. A large
percentage of the Areas Tourist have weekend cabins and condo's and cook
most if not all of their meals.

We also have a local Produce Auction that I use as an outlet. This Friday
Received $1.35a head for my greenleaf lettuce.

After my recent correspondence with the people at our extension office I am
not sure that we have enough farmers to establish a good market. I intend
to spend this winter looking over all the pro's and con's and making a
decision in March or April.

Richard D. Salmons