market-farming - garlic

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: <David.Purpura AT nokia.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: garlic
  • Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 20:30:24 -0400

Hi all. I grew garlic for the first time last year and it was a great
success. Thanks to the folks on this list, I discovered scapes back in June
- mmm, mmm, good!

So I've had my garlic hanging by it's neck in the open hay loft all summer,
and it's kept great. It's getting cold now, I assume I can't leave it there
to freeze - what's the best way to keep it? A cold closet?

I thought I planted late in November last year. When I went today to order
for next year I found that a lot of it is sold out - am I late? When should
I get it in the ground (MA)?

Can I use some of what we harvested as seed?

Thanks!