market-farming - TMV & boots

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Miranda Smith" <mirandas2 AT attbi.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: TMV & boots
  • Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 14:39:48 -0400

Liz,

I can assure you that TMV is alive and well on many tomatoes. I don't
know about tobacco, but I've seen it as recently as this past season
on some tomatoes.

If someone comes into the field or greenhouse who smokes, I ask that
they wash their hands in skim milk--regular milk isn't as effective,
or so I've been told. And given the disaster that TMV can cause, I'm
not about to do a side-by-side comparison, so I'll go with the advice.

Re boots: I have to put in a plug for the best winter greenhouse boots
I've found: Muck boots. They wouldn't be good for riding because they
have a thick, heavy sole, but they are fantastic for wearing when are
working in wet conditions. The tops (just about up to the knee on me)
are made from the same material as wet suits--they really keep you
warm. You can sweat in them, so I wear a good wicking sock with them.

Miranda Smith

  • TMV & boots, Miranda Smith, 10/21/2002