market-farming - Re: Organic industry vs. organic movement

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "RDH" <rdhopkins AT americanpasturage.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Organic industry vs. organic movement
  • Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 08:43:53 -0500

Rick W,

<Most of the small farms in our area are actually farm bureau members. In
fact, we are seeing in increase of farms over the last few years. Which even
surprised me. But at least I understand where you are coming from. Thank
goodness we do have some fairness from the FB which allows for the
democratic process to work as much as you and others here seem to despise
the process.>

Just don't think that FB is the same in all states. In Missouri they are
not family farm friendly although a recent Wisconsin transplant confirms
some of your comments about FB up there. I have also heard similar comments
from NY where the state FB has a faction that wants to separate from NFB.
Missouri FB proclaims to represent farmers when in fact many of their
"members" (read policy holders) are not farmers at all, but the numbers look
good on paper.

Rick H.