market-farming - Re: Organic industry vs. organic movement

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Liz Pike" <liz AT laughingbrookfarm.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Organic industry vs. organic movement
  • Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2002 22:15:11 -0400

You know, it just gripes my butt when words are put in my mouth. I never
said, intimated or hinted at despising the FB. For your information, and
since you seem to be so full of it, Rick, offices of the FB operate
differently from state-to-state. It not only varies from state to state, it
varies depending on what type of farmer you are or the region in which you
farm. I've farmed in two different counties/regions here in NC, and let me
tell you there's a world of difference within my own state. 99% of the jobs
they do here in my present county are farm insurance, (and now they're
getting ready to expand into financial & retirement services for the general
public--they are "farm" in name only, oh, yeah, I almost forgot. They do
provide a free bbq in the fall for local farmers.) But that's just here in
NC. Some people on this list love their FB, others have similar experiences
to my own. It's different in other states, and has been discussed here ad
nauseum.

> The status quo nevers stays put for long. If you do not keep changing with
> the changing conditions, you will stagnate.

Now that really gripes my butt. That's one thing you WON'T find on this
list, is stagnation. We're the kings of adaptation. We're trying to keep
up with the times without losing how we want to live. And for alot of us,
that means choosing not to become larger (farmwise, not girthwise ; ))

We have 46 acres. Before that I had another farm that was 40 acres. These
are tiny farms compared to some, and large compared to others. I only chose
to "market farm" 1/4 -3 1/2 acres, as many on this list do who may have
access to many more acres. It's done for many reasons: labor, personal
preference, market demands, etc. Some choose just to do produce, others add
livestock. But we don't hold anything against someone who's farming larger
amounts. More power to you.

You've also generalized wrongly about list members. Not everyone here is
organic, sustainable, political, "green", "small" acreage whatevers. Hell,
some don't even call themselves farmers; they feel more comfortable with
"market gardeners". We've got traditional farmers who grow conventionally,
we've got traditionals who grow some organic stuff. We've got organic
people who farm conventionally, and we've got purists. We've got
biodynamics (now's there's a group for you. Personally I get the vision of
black cauldrons when these farmers start up, but I know enough to shut up
because I'll learn something from them.)

We've got everything from large farms (one that's a couple thousand acres
that I know of) to list members who don't even have gardens. We've got some
who do it for a living, and others as a hobby. We've got families, couples,
single people, young & old. We've got farmers who bought their farms,
others who inherited, and more who just rent it. We've got some who don't
even live on the land they farm. We've got third generation farmers to
people who walked onto farms from city jobs, complete with 40 member CSA's,
and no idea how to pick a tomato.

Some like the political discussions, others wear out their delete keys.

But no matter what, we have community here. A thriving community of
like-minded people who just want to grow and sell things, and learn how to
do better at both. Sans attacks.

Liz Pike
Laughing Brook Farm
Westfield NC