market-farming - Re: Organic industry vs. organic movement

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "jay gee" <jgj23 AT mindspring.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Organic industry vs. organic movement
  • Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2002 00:10:45 +0000

Rick Williams wrote in part:

I had mentioned before about my grandfathers farm of 7 cows. It was a
subsistance farm in the 1940's and 1950's as it was. Today it would be
almost impossible to even sell your milk. Not Grade A and back then quite a
bit of extra organic matter got in to the milk:) But at the time it was
acceptable. Today it would be less acceptable.

How many here would think that this size was appropriate for today?
<<<<

Rick,

I don't think "size" is an issue, except for someone like yourself
or for those who want a parasitic relationship with farmers (read
that politicians and bureaucrats).

If a farmer can make a go of a seven cow farm, why not???

Given what is known about marketing and advertising,
a savvy operator should be able to make a small farm
profitable if the farmer is careful and selective about what
is grown, who it is sold to and how it is marketed.

The concept of having to have a large or very large
farm to be competitive is archaic in the era of the
Internet. This discussion list is indicative of how
the farming business is changing. The future will
show us the rest.

I look forward to it!

Jay Gee
not a farmer -- but interested in farming